Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Glittered photo frame

The daughter and I were walking through Hobby Lobby recently. We came across a really cute photo frame. It was all sparkly in black glitter. Daughter wanted it…I didn’t want to spend $29.99 on it…so we came up with our own.
If you haven’t figured it out by now, I LOVE Goodwill! I am constantly finding items to redo. In fact, I go to their photo frame department on a regular basis and just pick up every interesting frame they have! The one in my town keeps a huge stock of them and they’re always 50 cents to $2.00 a piece! On top of that, if you catch them at one of their 50% off sales, you have 25 cent frames! Come on people…where are you going to find that deal elsewhere?
This particular frame would be one of those 25 cent frames! It didn’t come with a back or glass, but that’s easy to fix! I’ll do a post on that one day, but for now…just know a piece of a cardboard box works wonders to go in the back and you can get a piece of glass cut at Lowe’s or Home Depot for pennies!
On with the frame redo…
IMG_0533
To make my simple white frame all pretty and glittery, I used Mod Podge and Glitter. (both purchased at Hobby Lobby, but you can find them at Wal-mart, Michael’s or your fav craft store)
IMG_0536
I forgot to snap a pic, but I spray painted the frame black before we started the next step.
To make it super easy for my daughter to do, I took a small plastic cup, poured in some Mod Podge and some glitter and mixed it up.
IMG_0534
Since the Mod Podge will dry clear, you can just paint it on. You can see where the frame was painted black in this pic.
IMG_0535
Once the whole frame is covered in the Mod Podge/Glitter mixture, let it dry for a few hours. We let ours dry overnight.
IMG_0537
To save the leftover mixture, just place the cup in a sandwich bag and zip. It will stay moist for days. I really don’t know how long it will actually last, because I usually toss it when I’m done with my project, but I know I’ve kept it this way for a couple weeks.
IMG_0538
If your frame isn’t as sparkly as you’d like, you can always add another coat of the Mod Podge mixture and then just drizzle glitter over the top. That’s what we did.
IMG_0539
When it’s completely dry, shake off the excess glitter and you’ll have a super cute sparkly frame for no where near $29.99!!!
IMG_0558
Dear Daughter loves it!!!!

I'm linking up with Domestically Speaking's Power of Paint party. Go check out all the cool paint redo's!

1 comment:

Thrifty Crafty Girl said...

I love Goodwill frames! Why spend $30 for something when you can make it for pennies? (Oh, and it's fun too!)